Optical Solution Engineer
at Zemax (View all jobs)
Zemax USA - Seattle, WA
For nearly 30 years, Zemax continues to be the optical simulation software engineers from the world's leading brands choose to design and build sophisticated optical products. We are inspired by the enormous scientific milestones our customers achieve with our solutions. With our flagship product, OpticStudio, JPL and NASA were able to bring the visually stunning Martian landscape to earth by creating the cameras on all three Mars Rovers. Our users create next generation laparoscopes and endoscopes that empower surgeons to usher in a new quality of life across the globe. From the sensors in cars that help steer and ensure the driver is awake, to the machine vision systems that ensure assembly lines operate flawlessly at speed, to the augmented display headsets that allow operators to see critical data within their working environment, and to the miniature camera systems that pack a powerful zoom into the corner of your smartphone, sophisticated optics are pervasive, and Zemax powers the innovators that create these amazing products.
Our mission is to develop software that enables our customers to design sophisticated optical products and bring them to market faster. Zemax is the only company that offers optical, mechanical, structural, and thermal engineers the ability to intelligently streamline collaboration, reduce reliance on costly prototyping and back-and-forth communication, and improve their time-to-market velocity.
Our solution suite begins by empowering innovative optical engineers with our industry-leading optical design software OpticStudio. Once the optical design is complete, OpticsBuilder helps move the design into the mechanical CAD environment where engineers are given unparalleled capabilities to analyze the optomechanical packaging and quickly share the completed drawings. Finally, OpticsViewer enables non-optical product engineers to troubleshoot and analyze if the optical system can meet manufacturing, budget, and time requirements.
Since 1991, Zemax remains committed to building its legacy from the grit and determination of our employees' passion for the optical design space. In the last few years, Zemax has dramatically grown both in sales and headcount. Fueled by the acquisition by EQT Partners in 2018, Zemax is confidently marching towards doubling or even tripling our sales within the next 3-5 years. Headquartered in Kirkland, WA, Zemax has sales and service support globally with offices in London, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Taipei.
Zemax proudly offers an environment where each individual has opportunities to work with a diverse group of passionate people to make an impact on the products that are ushering in the next generation of optical innovation.
We are looking for a proven Optical Solution Engineer who will provide technical leadership throughout multiple sales channels. You will serve as a trusted solution and technical advisor during the sales process and provide expertise that ensures successful software deployment and adoption.
For the right candidate, this is a career-defining opportunity to join us at a critical moment and truly have a significant impact. A proven track record of technical leadership, outstanding customer-facing skills, as well as consultative solution sales experience is required. This high-profile role reports to the Director of Sales in North America.
- Software / SaaS, technical pre-sales (SE) experience.
- Experience with CAD software, SolidWorks, Creo, Autodesk, Etc.
- 4+ years of experience as a Sales Engineer, Solution Architect, or related field in the SaaS and/or enterprise software industry
- Bachelors (BA/BS) degree required.
- Experience in Optics industry or Optics degree preferred.
Job Skills & Traits
- Passion for working with software simulation technologies and desire a deep understanding of functionality, use cases, as well as business and technical elements.
- Able to articulate technology and product features and benefits, as well as positioning to both business and technical users
- Experience in solution design or solution architecting.
- Strong communication skills (written, verbal, presentation), with the ability to explain technical subjects to non-technical end user personnel in large enterprises
- Ability to quickly build credibility, as well as understand and resolve customer technical issues
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage the technical content of customer RFI and RFP documentations and processes.
- Maintain close contact and assist in building strong relationship with Zemax Customers understanding the Industry use cases to improve Zemax customer acquisition and retention.
- Work closely with the Zemax Customer Success organization as customers work through the buyer/customer journey to become long term Zemax customers.
- Capture the voice of customer and market requirements by meeting with existing and new customers at trade shows, account visits, and other Zemax events.
- Gather competitive intelligence, including a working knowledge of competitor's products, features, strategies, and pricing.
- Provide pre-sale demonstrations of all Zemax products, such as OpticStudio & OpticsBuilder to potential new customers. Generate pre-sale content to show how Zemax Solutions can help our customers improve their optical product design workflow enabling them to improve product quality, be more cost effective and/or reduce their time to market.
- Attend on-site and virtual customer visits and manage the associated customer visit follow-up.
- Be the go-to technical resource to the Zemax Revenue team for all Zemax Solution offerings, providing messaging, positioning to Zemax America's customers. This includes helping Sales progress opportunities through our Revenue funnel via on-call conversations and demonstrations.
Any travel involved? Up to 40% - Very limited during COVID pandemic
Any financial/budgetary responsibility? Travel budget
Strategic planning responsibilities? Yes
Number of staff reporting to this position. 0