Product Documentation Associate - Optical Engineering
at Zemax (View all jobs)
Zemax Europe, Stansted UK
Who we are and what we do:
Zemax enables our customers to quickly bring new optical products to life through Zemax Virtual Prototyping: a collaborative workflow in which complete optical products can be simulated before ever manufacturing a part. ZVP currently consists of the industry leading optical design software OpticStudio® and the innovative OpticsBuilderâ„¢ which moves the optical design into the mechanical arena, empowering mechanical engineers to design and validate packaging for optical systems. Businesses using ZVP beat their competitors through faster times to market, decreased costs, and improved optical system performance. Zemax is the only company that offers optical, mechanical, structural and thermal engineers the ability to work together with fewer hand-offs and better workflows, which means optical products get manufactured faster without iterations of physical prototypes.
Since 1991, Zemax has been driven by people passionate about the optical design space, and that legacy continues to this day. In the last few years, Zemax has seen dramatic growth, both in sales and headcount. The recent strategic investment by EQT Partners positions the company to triple our sales in the next 3-5 years. Headquartered in Kirkland, WA, Zemax has expanded sales and service support globally with operations in London, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Taipei.
Zemax is a company where every individual makes an impact, and employees are our greatest assets. At Zemax, you get to work with a diverse group of passionate people developing tools that are changing the way optical products are designed.
Product Documentation Associate Job Overview
Zemax is looking for an optical engineer with great communication skills to build and maintain documentation for our suite of products: OpticStudio, OpticsBuilder and OpticsViewer. Working in cooperation with the Product and Customer Success teams, you will write and update help file topics, participate in documentation for knowledgebase articles and review writing by others in Zemax prior to publication.
Who will love this role:
- Implementers who can execute on the plan to reach the established goal
- Communicators who can distill complex technical subjects into well organized, thoughtful text
Be sure to check out Zemax's Glassdoor page for more about what it's like to work at Zemax!
What you'll do:
As an essential part of the Product Team, you will own the English-language documentation and technical content for the Zemax suite of software: our flagship product OpticStudio, OpticsBuilder and OpticsViewer. This role is focused on maintaining the highest standards of written technical information and requires a foundational understanding of our product line to create content at the appropriate technical level.
Responsibilities for this role include:
- Partnering with internal technical personnel (developers, customer success engineers and subject matter experts) to author and edit English-language technical content for the Zemax suite of products, including Help files, Release notes, Getting Started guides, How-To tutorials, and other reference materials that help customers use our products successfully.
- Collaborating with subject matter experts to develop technical case studies and customer testimonials.
- Authoring or contributing materials for the company website, trade shows, and other outreach efforts as needed.
The position will report to Matthew Sutton, Director of Product.
Success will look like:
In the first 90 days, a high performer will have accomplished the following:
- Reviewed the framework and process for creating Help files for each product and contributed 1-2 items for the Help files for an upcoming release
- Created one (1) knowledgebase article describing a recent improvement to our product line
In the first year, a high performer will have accomplished the following:
- Delivered up-to-date help files for 3 major releases and 9 minor releases of OpticStudio, OpticsBuilder and OpticsViewer
- Created release notes for each release
- Documented new OpticStudio and OpticsBuilder capabilities via at least six (6) knowledgebase articles
What you'll bring:
- BS degree in optical engineering or directly related field, related experience could be substituted
- 1- 3 years' experience with OpticStudio
- Smart, highly collaborative, adaptable, energetic, resourceful, and analytical.
- A passion for creating digestible content that is helps people use our software products successfully.
- Ability to identify the best content solutions that meet user needs and Zemax business objectives.
- Ability to deliver the right content at the right time for users, potentially through new form factors and technologies.
- Superb written and verbal communication, presentation, interpersonal, and project management skills.
- Superb attention to detail while staying focused on the big picture.
- Ability to plan and prioritize your work and to manage multiple deliverables in a fast-paced environment.