Quality Assurance Engineer
at Zemax (View all jobs)
Who we are and what we do:
Zemax enables our customers to quickly bring new optical products to life through Zemax Virtual Prototyping: a collaborative workflow in which complete optical products can be simulated before ever manufacturing a part. ZVP currently consists of the industry leading optical design software OpticStudioâ„¢ and the innovative LensMechanixâ„¢ which moves the optical design into the mechanical arena, empowering mechanical engineers to design and validate packaging for optical systems. Businesses using ZVP beat their competitors through faster times to market, decreased costs, and improved optical system performance. Zemax is the only company that offers optical, mechanical, structural and thermal engineers the ability to work together with fewer hand-offs and better workflows, which means optical products get manufactured faster without iterations of physical prototypes.
Since 1991, Zemax has been driven by people passionate about the optical design space, and that legacy continues to this day. In the last few years, Zemax has seen dramatic growth, both in sales and headcount. The recent strategic investment by EQT Partners positions the company to triple our sales in the next 3-5 years. Headquartered in Kirkland, WA, Zemax has expanded sales and service support globally with operations in London, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Taipei.
Zemax is a company where every individual makes an impact, and employees are our greatest assets. At Zemax, you get to work with a diverse group of passionate people developing tools that are changing the way optical products are designed.
TITLE QA Engineer - OpticStudio
The Quality Assurance (QA) Engineer, is responsible for creating and using test cases to validate the optical functionality of OpticStudio as new features are implemented and bugs are fixed. The QA Engineer will be responsible for providing timely testing and accurate feedback of results for workflow, user interface and optical engineering calculations, and reporting these results to the software engineers and physicists responsible for developing OpticStudio.
- BS degree in optical engineering or directly related field, MS preferred
- 3- 5 years' experience with OpticStudio
Job Skills & Traits
- Exceptional communication skills
- A flexible and adaptable attitude toward responding to change
- The ability to take on extensive responsibility and excel in a small team environment
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to distill problems down to their simplest form
- Conversational English skills are required
Duties & Responsibilities
The QA Engineer will own the testing of bug fixes, new features and development milestones for OpticStudio. This role is primarily an inward facing role, focused on testing during the software development process, with the goal of maintaining and improving the quality of this well-established product.
- Engaging with product team members to understand how Targeted Sellable Value Propositions (TSVPs) are being broken down into epics, features and user stories
- Working with product and development teams to create test plans for the optical engineering aspect of each epic, feature and user story
- Testing each epic, feature, user story and bug as it is completed
- Ensuring complete user acceptance testing for each released TSVP
- Interacting with optical engineers in other teams at Zemax to ensure thorough, non-redundant testing of OpticStudio
- Accurately communicating any bugs or product feedback to the development team