Optical Engineering Intern
at Zemax (View all jobs)
Zemax Europe - Stansted, UK
Who we are and what we do:
Zemax enables our customers to quickly bring new optical products to life through Zemax Virtual Prototyping: a collaborative workflow in which complete optical products can be simulated before ever manufacturing a part. Businesses using ZVP beat their competitors through faster times to market, decreased costs, and improved optical system performance. Zemax is the only company that offers optical, mechanical, structural and thermal engineers the ability to work together with fewer hand-offs and better workflows, which means optical products get manufactured faster without iterations of physical prototypes.
Since 1991, Zemax has been driven by people passionate about the optical design space, and that legacy continues to this day. In the last few years, Zemax has seen dramatic growth, both in sales and headcount. Headquartered in Kirkland, WA, Zemax has expanded sales and service support globally with operations in London, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Taipei.
Zemax is a company where every individual makes an impact, and employees are our greatest assets. At Zemax, you get to work with a diverse group of passionate people developing products that are changing the way optical products are designed.
What you'll do:
As an Optical Engineering Intern at Zemax, you will help Zemax to build up technical resources for customers. Your main job will be converting technical support case answers to public website posts on the Zemax customer portal. For longer internships, you'll also get a chance to investigate a topic in the optics industry, create an optical model in OpticStudio and/or LensMechanix with the supervision of a Zemax engineer, and publish the content in your name.
At the conclusion of your internship, you will be considered for available and future full-time positions with Zemax.
A high performer will:
- Create high-quality technical information on the Zemax customer portal with efficiency and little supervision
- Build working knowledge of OpticStudio
- Depending on internship lengthâ€¦
- After 5-6 months, be able to tackle a range of incoming support questions
- Publish new technical articles to enhance the Zemax Knowledgebase
You should have:
- Passion for optics
- Zemax core values: Drive, Improve, Fun, Super Smart, Honest, Problem Solver
- A student's status at a university or recent graduate, studying optics or related fields
- Experience with Zemax OpticStudio or other optical design programs strongly preferred
- Proficiency in optical aberration theory, physical optics and illumination preferred
- Fluency in English
- Exceptional written skills
- Strong investigation skills
You will work in:
Zemax's Stansted, UK office located a short distance from London.
Zemax, LLC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.